Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Christmas Drink You Must Make Now!

I had a wonderful Christmas today. We traveled earlier in the week and came home the 23rd. Our Christmas Eve service was at 3 PM, leaving plenty of time to come home and make some homemade chicken noodle soup and light our last candle on our advent wreath.

This morning we watched delighted children open presents and Face Timed with family. I made a slow cooked brisket and my sons and I played with Lego in the afternoon making new creations from our now very large Lego collection 

After putting the 3 munchkins to bed, my husband and I treated ourselves to our favorite hot drink right now: Kahlua Hot Chocolate.


Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture until it was almost gone. But trust me, you need to make this drink right now.

Growing up we always made hot chocolate with the powered mix, I always envisioned from scratch hot chocolate as something horribly difficult to make and then I discovered that it's extremely easy to make and I feel too many years have been wasted drinking mixes when I could have the real deal. Don't make that mistake, make this instead! You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.

Homemade Hot Chocolate (2 servings)

Ingredients:

  1. 3 cups whole milk
  2. 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
  3. 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1) Heat the milk in a sauce pan on medium low, stirring every so often with a whisk. I usually do the dishes while I wait for it to heat up. You don't want to boil the milk, I usually pull it off the heat when a few bubbles pop up.

2) Using a liquid measuring cup, pour about a 1/2 cup of milk out and whisk in the sugar and cocoa powder.

3) Pour the ingredients back into the rest of the milk in the sauce pan and mix it with a whisk.

4) Pour into 2 mugs and enjoy! (Preferably with someone you love.)

5) Optional fifth step: add 2 Tablespoons of Kahlua to each mug. My husband and I refer to this as adult hot chocolate. It's great with or without the Kahlua although you might want to add a bit more sugar if you don't add the Kahlua.


No comments:

Post a Comment